Friday, July 25, 2008

prepare for bluntness.

It's weird having couples (and this many of them) on team. (Told you to prepare for bluntness.)


The team dynamic has an extra little bit added onto it now, and as if we didn't have the issue of tiny cliques that would form up every now and then, now we have to factor in these special little relationships that are pretty exclusive in and of themselves. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for people's happiness and I know it makes sense that people with like interests would meet through a shared interest group but wow, I never thought there would be this much of it.

I like that people are opening up to each other and putting so much into the team that they've managed to find a little to keep for themselves. I'm really happy too for the people who are involved.


But I gotta say, bringing it into the team atmosphere, particularly during practice is starting to get to me. From little favors, nicknames, miniature displays of PDA (now mind you the only form I'm really ok with is either holding hands or hugging), always looking for your partner, and other people not in the relationship constantly saying "oh awkward" (if pairs that are made for routines dont match up to outside ones) or "awww how cute". I do not think that an in-team relationship is going to work if you can't separate your professionalism from your private life. I know we're all family, but think about that. Being family menas respecting each other and loving each other. I think a big part of that is keeping teammates and significant others separate when the FAMILY is together. I don't wanna think about my little brother dating my sister. That's WEIRD.

Now I know pretty much all of you are assuming that I'm saying this because I'm single. I'm not bitter, jealous, or resentful. Like I said, I'm happy for the couples. I just really think that relationships, even within the team, should be left OUTSIDE of practice. It's not right to create a bubble for yourself and someone else at times when you're supposed to be sharing in the team spirit.

I know I haven't really dispelled most of your thoughts that I am simply envious but that's on you. Think about the bigger picture for once that DOESNT actually revolve around one person (most people can't really make that jump and it's ok) and you'll start to understand where I'm coming from. I'm watching my family change, and for the most part I'm coming to terms with the changes, but there really are a few things I have to put my foot down about and this is one of them.

<3BAM

2 comments:

Julian Leong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julian Leong said...

you're right, this is a very straightforward post, and i don't blame you for it. there is definite change that's coming along with the current circumstances, and i think everyone on the team is having some trouble adjusting. i appreciate how honest and comfortable you can be saying how you feel about things, but note that it may not be wise to be so conclusive when we first encounter things we think are weird. sometimes our expectations of others aren't actually for others. i wouldn't want you to stifle your opinion, but i've spoken to some people on the other end who express their own woes, and a distaste for getting called out so excessively. i think everyone has been affected.

i suppose everyone has taken a very raw reaction to it, but now that we've spent some time in the situation i hope we can think about how to help each other refine that reaction, instead of venting our disappointment as we're often tempted to do.

there's certainly a lot of evaluating to do before the next meeting.